The research is proposed to determine “Impact or influence of social media on buying behavior of individual”.
In the 21st century innovation is happening at a rapid pace across the industries. In advertisement industry also innovation happened and on a large scale. Social media advertisement completely changes the face of the industry (How does social media influence consumer behavior?., 2020). The days were when products were only advertised through TV channels and print media. In the past couple of years social media emerged as a new medium of communication. Many brands like Hubble, Blue Apron, Vault and PureGym achieve huge success in the market by advertising their products through social media channels like Facebook (Alalwan and et.al., 2017). On the other hand, there are many brands that failed to achieve desired results. Thus, a major question arises or research problem is that do actually social media channels assist firms to persuade customers If yes, then what are those factors due to which social media help firms to achieve desired results?. In the past many research studies are conducted in this regard and attempts were made to measure the effectiveness of the social media. Those research studies basically evaluate the marketing strategies of the firm that were implemented on social media channels to persuade customers. These research studies also focus on varied formats, advertisement through which assist firm to do the marketing of the product on social media in a better way. Opposite to this, the present study is focused on the impact of influencers and opinion people shared on social media, promotion and brand awareness done on by the firm on individual buying behavior. Thus, this study focuses on basic factors or reasons due to which social media help firms to persuade customers in an easy way. This is the main significance of the research work.
To identify impact or influence of social media on buying behavior of individual.
• To identify the role of social media in creating awareness among people about the product and motivating them to buy company product.
• To identify the impact of opinion or comments that people share on social media on individual buying decisions.
• To identify the impact of promotion, discounts and deals that are advertised by the firms on social media on people purchasing decisions.
• To identify the impact that influences opinion about product on social media have on individual purchase decisions.
• To recommend strategies that form must follow to make a social media campaign successful.
Evaluation of the research proposal
• Evaluation of aim: The aim of the research study is to identify the impact that social media have on the individual buying behavior. There are a number of ways in which social media affects individual buying behavior. In the current time period large number of firms are using social media to advertise their products, but they got failed or does not get expected results. Considering this fact, the focus is on basic factors that have an impact on the individual consumer behavior. Results obtained on advertising product on social media are also affected by algorithms, but in the research study focus is not paid for it because it will take research on a different direction. Hence, it can be said that the research study is very specific in nature.
• Evaluation of objectives: The main aim of the research is to identify the impact of social media on individuals buying behavior. In the present research study in this regard four major objectives are prepared. First is related to brand awareness and the role social media play in assisting firms to increase brand awareness in the public. By addressing this objective attempt is made to identify whether social media can be used effectively by the company that recent enter into the the market and is at infant stage. The second objective is on impact of comments and likes people leave on the company FB page on people buying behavior. By revealing impact direct relationship between social media and buying behavior is identified. The third objective is impact of advertisement of offers on social media for people buying behavior. This objective is prepared to identify reasons due to which these offers get higher attentiveness among people and impact on buying behavior. Fourth objective is related to influences impact on buying behavior of individuals. Through this attempt is made to identify, do influencers use assist firm to affect buying behavior of individual using social media.
• Evaluation of literature review section: According to objectives different themes are prepared and arguments are done in this section. With respect to the first objective by comparing traditional and digital channel of communication reasons due to which social media have successfully created brand awareness is identified. In the second objective role that comments and likes playing information of perception about company among the people and its impact on buying behavior is identified. In third theme it is indicated that info related to offers is readily available on social media and this affect consumer behavior. In fourth theme reasons due to influencers recommendation is followed by the people is evaluated.
Books and journals
Ahmad, N. S., Musa, R.. and Harun, M. H. M. 2016. The impact of social media content marketing (SMCM) towards brand health. Procedia Economics and Finance. 37(16). 331-336.
Alalwan, A. A. and et.al., 2017. Social media in marketing: A review and analysis of the existing literature. Telematics and Informatics. 34(7). 1177-1190.
Alves, H., Fernandes, C.. and Raposo, M. 2016. Social media marketing: a literature review and implications. Psychology & Marketing. 33(12). 1029-1038.
Ananda, A. S., Hernández-García, Á. and Lamberti, L., 2016. N-REL: A comprehensive framework of social media marketing strategic actions for marketing organizations. Journal of Innovation & Knowledge. 1(3). 170-180.
Ashley, C.. and Tuten, T. 2015. Creative strategies in social media marketing: An exploratory study of branded social content and consumer engagement. Psychology & Marketing. 32(1). 15-27.
Attia, M.. and Edge, J. 2017. Be (com) ing a reflexive researcher: a developmental approach to research methodology. Open Review of Educational Research. 4(1). 33-45.
Azhdarzadeh, M. and et.al., 2015. Nanotoxicology: advances and pitfalls in research methodology. Nanomedicine. 10(18). 2931-2952.
Bresler, L.. and Stake, R. E. 2017. Qualitative research methodology in music education. In Critical Essays in Music Education (pp. 113-128). Routledge.
Dwivedi, Y. K., Kapoor, K. K.. and Chen, H. 2015. Social media marketing and advertising. The Marketing Review. 15(3). 289-309.
Felix, R., Rauschnabel, P. A.. and Hinsch, C. 2017. Elements of strategic social media marketing: A holistic framework. Journal of Business Research. 70. 118-126.
Fletcher, A. J. 2017. Applying critical realism in qualitative research: methodology meets method. International journal of social research methodology. 20(2). 181-194.
Flick, U. 2015. Introducing research methodology: A beginner’s guide to doing a research project. Sage.
Fulgoni, G. M. 2015. How Brands Using Social Media Ignite Marketing and Drive Growth: Measurement of Paid Social Media Appears Solid But Are the Metrics for Organic Social Overstated?. Journal of Advertising Research. 55(3). 232-236.
Glucksman, M. 2017. The rise of social media influencer marketing on lifestyle branding: A case study of Lucie Fink. Elon Journal of Undergraduate Research in Communications. 8(2). 77-87.
Hajli, N., 2015. Handbook of research on integrating social media into strategic marketing. IGI Global.
Hassan, S. and et.al., 2015. Strategic use of social media for small business based on the AIDA model. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences. 172. 262-269.
Husain, S., Ghufran, A.. and Chaubey, D. S. 2016. Relevance of social media in marketing and advertising. Splint International Journal of Professionals. 3(7). 21-28.
Jin, S. V., Muqaddam, A.. and Ryu, E. 2019. Instafamous and social media influencer marketing. Marketing Intelligence & Planning.
Kane, G. C., 2015. Enterprise social media: Current capabilities and future possibilities. MIS Quarterly Executive. 14(1).
Karimi, S.. and Naghibi, H. S. 2015. Social media marketing (SMM) strategies for small to medium enterprises (SMEs). International Journal of Information, Business and Management. 7(4). 86.
Kiráľová, A.. and Pavlíčeka, A. 2015. Development of social media strategies in tourism destination. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences. 175. 358-366.
Kumar, A. and et.al., 2016. From social to sale: The effects of firm-generated content in social media on customer behavior. Journal of Marketing. 80(1). 7-25.
Kumar, R. 2019. Research methodology: A step-by-step guide for beginners. Sage Publications Limited.
Kuofie, M., Gholston, K.. and Hakim, A. C. 2015. An overview of social media for marketing. International Journal of Global Business. 8(2). 65.
Lacka, E.. and Chong, A. 2016. Usability perspective on social media sites’ adoption in the B2B context. Industrial Marketing Management. 54. 80-91.
Mackey, A.. and Gass, S. M. 2015. Second language research: Methodology and design. Routledge.
Razak, S. A.. and Latip, N. A. B. M. 2016. Factors that influence the usage of social media in marketing. Journal of Research in Business and Management. 4(2). 1-7.
Rugova, B.. and Prenaj, B. 2016. Social media as marketing tool for SMEs: opportunities and challenges. Academic Journal of Business. 2(3). 85-97.
Salo, J. 2017. Social media research in the industrial marketing field: Review of literature and future research directions. Industrial Marketing Management. 66. 115-129.
Shareef, M. A. and et.al., 2019. Social media marketing: Comparative effect of advertisement sources. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services. 46. 58-69.
Tandoc Jr, E. C.. and Vos, T. P. 2016. The journalist is marketing the news: Social media in the gatekeeping process. Journalism Practice. 10(8). 950-966.
Tuten, T. L.. and Solomon, M. R. 2017. Social media marketing. Sage.
Zhu, Y. Q.. and Chen, H. G. 2015. Social media and human need satisfaction: Implications for social media marketing. Business horizons. 58(3). 335-345.
How does social media influence consumer behavior?., 2020. [Online]. Available through:< https://clootrack.com/knowledge_base/how-does-social-media-influence-consumer-behavior/>.